50 million people: The change in marketing




Look at the image above. These are the number of years it took to have 50 million users. As you can see, the world seems to adapt new developments a lot quicker than in the past. What is especially striking is that the last few years the user plays an increasingly important goal, because web 2.0 allows users to generate content.

• 25% of the results of the top 20 brands is user-generated content
• 34% of the bloggers, with a total of 200 million blogs, write opinions about products and brands
• 78% of the consumers rely on the advice of someone else
• 14% of the consumers rely on advertisements by the company

This has a great impact on marketing, since consumers seem to rely more on the opinions of others than on advertisements on radio, television or internet. Therefore, marketers need something else to attract the attention of the consumers.
This is when Social Media Marketing arises. As was shown before, Facebook is an upcoming medium which has now over 680 million users. So, when marketers spread their advertisements through social media many people will be reached. However, an advertisement needs to be striking, which is done by making a personalized campaign.
In these campaigns the name or a picture of the user is displayed, which mostly has a positive effect for the company, since the user feels personally addressed and therefore pays more attention to the campaign. However, marketers go further and further with this. A lot of user-generated data is available for the marketers and they can use it whenever they want.
But where is the line? What if your phone number is used in an advertisement? Or what if your private photos are showed in a campaign? In the research project for my research traineeship I will examine where the boundary lies. When feel people threatened in their privacy? In Partnership with Hyves (the biggest Dutch social network), a master student and Tilburg University I will investigate this the coming months. Of course I will keep you informed of my findings on my blog.
I believe that due to privacy concerns, it is only a matter of time until 50 million people will unsubscribe from Facebook.
Facts are from: http://www.rogenica.nl


1 comments to "50 million people: The change in marketing"

  • I'm already looking forward to the results of your investigation! I think there will be a difference in age groups. My parents are very suspicious about "personal" advertisements, but I might as well click on them if they seem interesting. I think it is nice for both parties (both the owned of the advertisement and the potential client/buyer) if advertisements are matched with interest, but this can go too far. When an advertisements uses my name, I get distrustful and will question not only the advertisement, but also the website on which I saw it.

    What I like about the advertisements on Facebook is that it is possible to make them disappear, and you are asked to give a reason why. I must honestly say that I don't want to spend my time on that, so it almost never occurs that I really give a reason or delete an advertisement.

    Another thing concerning privacy is that it's sometimes very hard to find where to change settings on applications reaching your data or which users can view your profile (I experience this especially on Facebook). Because there's a menu in a menu in a menu, most people give up or get lost in the search for trying to change their settings. This is a thing that I'm very concerned about: menus and social media websites should be open and clear to make sure users are able to set their own privacy settings!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Design of Digital Communication by Saskia Kanters 2010. Powered by Blogger.

About This Blog

This blog is written for the course Business Information Technology. Hope you enjoy!

“Design of not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” Steve Jobs

Followers

About Me

My photo
Student Business Communication and Digital Media @ Tilburg University

Popular Posts

Web hosting for webmasters